Sunday, November 20, 2005

Grrl made me cry...

I read this poem today on her blog, and It made me cry. It reminded me of the fourth or fifth date that my then-boyfriend and I went on. We were with one of his cousins on a double date when Carl (Trav's Cousin) got a call that his Dad was in the Biggar hospital, and it wasn't good.

There had been wine, and I was really the only one who should have driven, so I did.

I raced to Biggar, praying that I could get them there in time. When we finally arrived, I said "I'll stay in the car" and Travis' Aunt told me that I should come inside. I still am amazed that in their time of ultimate grief and family togetherness, Travis included me. He let me do my own thing, and I did try to stay at a distance, but you get pulled into someone else's grief and it's the least you can do to ensure that everyone gets home alright.

After the fact, I was told by a friend that I was strange to be ok about going to witness the family at such an ugly time, but I feel I was blessed to see this family's last moments. I was not "happy" to be there, but I was glad to be of any help I could be, to the man I was falling in love with, and his loved ones.

No comments: