Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Daily Grind

I have a job where I am paid to people watch. I sit in the mall and observe. I eavesdrop on conversations held at the pay phones. I watch mothers drag their children around, I watch Wives drag their husbands around, I watch teenagers drag each other around.

I watch.

I don't like what I'm seeing today.

The current time is 12:51PM, and I have witnessed two seperate acts of violence towards a child, three domestic fights, four teenaged children being mouthy to a parent who looked helpless to stop what the children were doing, and two arrests for shoplifting.
What has our world come to that these things are mainstream enough to occur in a public place?

Granted, today is a fluke day, and on average I may see one or two of these events in a week, not all in one morning, ESPECIALLY a Tuesday morning, but they all still have happened. Am I as guilty of abuse as the man who screamed "Shut the F*&% up Bitch - You are nothing but a stupid Ho!" to a woman I can only guess was his girlfriend or wife...When I did nothing to stop him? What about the Kids who yelled at their Mom for more cash so they could go into Garage and buy some clothes? "Shut up Mom! You don't decide what I can or can't buy!" Should I have told them not to treat their mother like that? Should I have spoken up for the underdog more often today? I don't know what to do in these situations.

I feel so helpless. I get the Security Guards to the scene with some fast talk on the radio, and some code words I have prepared on a cue card, but is that enough?

I like to think of myself as an activist. I will stand up for what I believe, even if I'm in the minority. I've called people out before for wearing fur, shopping in places that I know to be unjust either in their manufacturing or retail processes, or for being a bully. Why can't I do it now? Why am I afraid to stand up to some thug who looks like he hasn't showered in three days?

Because I'm afraid that no one will stand with me.

There was a mall full of people, and not a single person flinched when he raised his hand in a threat to her. No one flinched when those kids were taking their Mother's dignity and parading on it.

I'm sure there were moments in the lives of the Mom, and the girlfriend, when they thought... "Hmmm, I don't like where this is leading. I'm going to do something to curb this behavior." Why didn't they follow through? Was it a lack of support from their community? Was I again not looking in time to help?

Why is this behavior deemed acceptable. And if you answer "It's not." Then why is it being allowed to continue in our homes, schools, malls, streets........

I was told today, by an elderly woman who visits with me regularly, that she has to repeat the serenity prayer every day just to get through.

I don't want to just get through though........

3 comments:

Pilot said...

You've really made me think about how ... indifferent and apathetic I can be when I see these situations.

Perhaps I'll think of this post next time I see a child mouthing off his mother in the mall.

Or maybe I'll think I have too much to lose.

Breanne Gentner said...

It is absolutely ridiculous how people treat eachother nowadays.

It's also absolutely ridiculous that these mothers/wives/girlfriends take that shit.

I'm glad I have been raised to respect my parents, and also to not take it when someone disrespects me.

On another note, each time I work or happen to be in the mall I look at the customer service but I have ZERO idea who you could poissbly be. :)

Tracey said...

My heart just aches working among some of the scenes I encounter on a daily basis.

Look for me usually during the day, before 6... only exception is Wednesday nights now :-(

I'm the one who's blogging! Tee hee hee! (Or checking her email)