Thursday, January 12, 2006

Thoughts on the Worship.Freehouse

In the spirit of de-lurking, I'm going to confess that I've been doing a lot of reading on the Worship Freehouse page.

I was led there one night by chance really, clicking on a few different links until I got there. I was having a rough day, and the thought of an Alterna-church seemed really nice. I was raised, and am currently a semi-practicing Catholic and I do find comfort in scripture, but I disagree with the Catholic Church on a few points. Specifically, abortion, birth control, homosexuality, and women's roles in the church. I still want to believe in God, but I want to believe that He is accepting of people, no matter what they do, as long as they live their lives the best the they can.
I have been doing some reading from the Freehouse List, and have been thinking that the books that are listed have good points. I just don't know. I have been praying for guidance on this topic for a while, hoping to be led one direction or another. Nothing yet, but there is a Freehouse event on Sunday that I'm interested in going to... I'm not sure what will be happening, but It sounds like the members of the Freehouse will be planning some of the events that will happen in 2006. This could be an educational coffee :-)

I guess I'm looking for like-minded individuals to spend time with as I try to find my way to a better relationship with God. I don't know if these are the people I need, but I'm willing to find out.

2 comments:

becky said...

Oh, you should COME OUT! Well, to the Freehouse thing on Sunday, anyway. :)

A couple years ago, I stumbled upon the Freehouse website in the same way that you have. I finally got up the courage and met up with everyone one Sunday night at the Black Duck. The rest, as they say, is history.

The friendships I've made through this group are irreplaceable. It was through these friendships that I met my soulmate, and it's a place were I feel comfortable enough to pursue my faith at my own pace. I'm from a long background of organized religion (mainly Fundamentalist Protestant) -- and this group came along in my life just when I needed it.

Hmm, I hope that doesn't sound too cult-ish. I just really dig the idea of pursuing my faith and spirituality in creative, and out-of-the-box type of ways.

I hope you can make it on Sunday.

Janine said...

Its always neat when people find things when they were just kinda sorta looking. Cool how things work!