Tuesday, October 24, 2006

If only life were as good as a book...

I'm reading Goodbye Lemon by Adam Davies (he also wrote the kick-ass book The Frog King) and I get to chapter 12 and I am ready to cry.

Here's the whole chapter: (Adam, please don't sue me...if they aren't moved by this passage to go buy your book, then there is nothing I can say or do to convince them otherwise!)

Windows Open

The first time I kissed Hahva was in the parking lot of the Ark, after hours, when the residents were all asleep. We were standing under a cone of sputtering canary light from the streetlamp, listening to the rataplan of the rain coming down on the hot asphalt. The burned-cabbage smell of the chicken plant was vivid and heavy, awash in my nose. Some kids rattled past, drinking from paper bags while pushing each other in a grocery cart. When they wrecked in the gutter the liquor they spewed out of their mouths looked like a spray of diamonds.

When I kissed Hahva at that moment I felt hundreds of windows fly open inside my heart. It made me wish that I had never kissed anyone else.

That's the whole chapter. I am in love with this book!

2 comments:

Pillowfighter said...

Hey! Thanks! Adam Davies

Anonymous said...

i agree - stunningly beautiful passage. i just tore through goodbye lemon in a matter of days. i tried to savour it but it was just too good. an excellent followup to frog king. i want a boyfriend like this!