Monday, October 31, 2005

Memories that hurt


At 6 O'Clock tonight, we had a little trick-or-treater who I would guess was around 5 or 6 years old. She was a princess and her little brother was a pirate. She was very talkative. She told us all about the other houses she had seen and the ghost next door who gave her some raisins (She doesn't like raisins, she's going to give them to her Daddy).

Then she told me that she was going to go to her Grandma's house next because her Grandma makes special candy for her and her brother. That set a memory off in my head. I vividly remember going to my Maternal grandparents house, and having special bags made for us there with different candy for each child. My sisters like those rockets, so they had more of those than anything else, and I was always partial to the halloween kisses, so I got those. and then we would go to my paternal grandparent's (Pictured above) and Grandma would have made us a bag of goodies, and then they would pull out one "big" regular sized chocolate bar, and tell us "Don't tell the other kids, because all they get are the tiny halloween sized treats!"

That made me really sad. I remember thinking I can't wait to have kids, because they will get to feel special too, when my family does this for them...

My Dad's parents both died last year, and my Mom's Dad passed away when I was 15. Lately I have been thinking about them a lot. I wonder if they are proud of us grandkids, and if they miss us on special days as much as we miss them.

No comments: