Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Buy Nothing Day

I just saw a link to this website on This Grrrl's page. I have mixed feelings about this.

For 24 hours, millions of people around the world do not participate -- in the doomsday economy, the marketing mind-games, and the frantic consumer-binge that's become our culture. We pause. We make a small choice not to shop. We shrink our footprint and gain some calm. Together we say: enough is enough. And we help build this movement to rethink our unsustainable course.
I agree with the Idea of this day. We need to realize that spending doesn't make things better in this world, and most of us are living beyond our means. Yet my income is dependant on people's spending. There are Millions of jobs in the retail sector in the world, and if people stopped spending, there would be more people on Social Assistance. This is definety not an easy subject to debate.

1 comment:

becky said...

If anything, Buy Nothing Day is more of a symbolic action than a literal one. It's more about taking time to realize how consumeristic-driven our culture is -- and then stepping back for a second to see if we can change something about ourselves, in the process.

It's not necessarily about shutting down industry or anything. I'll have to do some more research on it, before I can explain it better.

(and even though I totally support Buy Nothing Day, I'm still a sucker for a Mall Day every now and then!) :)