Monday, February 13, 2006

Since when do churches quote Satan? In a good way?

I'm the first to admit that I really know very little about theology. Or the bible for that matter. I know the stories that we learn in Sunday School, or the passages that I hear in church, but I cannot quote scripture, nor can I hear someone say "oh that's like Bob 3:25" and know what they are talking about. So when I read this and this, I had to go to the source to find out why it was so funny.

5The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7So if you worship me, it will all be yours."
8Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'"

Luke 4:5-8

So basically this church in Limerick, Pennsylvania took a portion of this passage and made it their own. Someone like me, with little bible knowledge, would read this line and think, 'What a beautiful quote from God. "If you worship me it will all be yours"... I want it all, so I should worship him...'

That is one good marketing ploy!

No comments: