Thursday, March 16, 2006

A is for...



I recently got into a debate with my own husband about my views on a Woman's right to choose, and when life begins. He has some really strong ideas, and he was shocked that I held a different opinion.

He met me near the end of a wild streak that I was on. I was 21, and no one could keep me in line :-) Fresh off the farm, so they say, I had come to Saskatoon looking for something different. I had a great childhood, good and bad, it was fairly balanced. When I met The Husband, I would have never guessed that we would be married in less than 7 months. In some respects I don't think I was really ready for married life. He was 26, had been a wild child in high school, gone to Covenant Bible College in Prince Albert, and most importantly, he was ready to settle down and start a family. He had waded through the issues and forged his opinions based on what he had seen and learned, I hadn't been given the opportunity yet.

I have been reading A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren. This has helped me to verbalize a lot of what I'd been thinking. I am pretty sure that I fit into a very post-modern theology and most people I know are more modern. I started sharing some of the ideas about moving into the new post-modern ideals with My Husband, and he was speechless. (still not sure if it was what I was saying, or the fact that I was able to express myself with such passion and vigour) I really want to share this book with him. I have a feeling that he isn't going to be swayed by most of it, but if we can start meeting in the middle more often, that is a good thing.

1 comment:

becky said...

It's all a process, girlfriend. What you wrote above was me, a few years ago. Stay faithful, and things will work out.

(proud of ya!)