Friday, March 17, 2006

Rude and inconsiderate

There is a man in a motorized wheelchair who is in the mall regularly. His name is Larry. Larry speaks with the assistance of a computer that is programmed to say words and phrases for him at the touch of a button. He also uses a headband attachment to control his chair and this computer. (I believe that he is quadriplegic)

I am aggravated at the number of people who are rude or inconsiderate to the disabled. Larry's computer can be hard to understand sometimes with all of the background noise here, but if you listen, you can decipher it. He asked me today to re-adjust his headband so he could steer the wheelchair better. I did and he thanked me. When I got back to the desk, a security guard told me that there was no way that he would "touch a cripple".

Sick and wrong. If ANY of our clientele had heard a comment such as that, there would be such an uproar! Good news is that this particular employee is leaving really soon, and I will never have to listen to him flapping his gums ever again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

testing

Christy said...

'touch a cripple'? That remark is just absolutely insane.

Tracey said...

I know... I was in shock after I heard it, and then I got angry.

People say that we as a society have made these great strides towards a peaceful Utopia, except the stupid people keep reproducing, (which is completely anti-Darwinian, BTW...), and they are ruining Utopia for the rest of us.