Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Michiko Kakutani is a real person!!!

Ok, I'm a nerd.

I freely admit it. I have all six seasons of Sex and the City on DVD. I hardly ever missed the show when it was on it's first run. I live my single gal living in NYC fantasy (one that I've had ever since I was a little girl reading the Baby-Sitters Club books...I wanted to be Stacey...more on that later, I'm sure) by watching Carrie Bradshaw's adventures and living vicariously through her.

There are people, places, and things that they mention in the show that an outsider to the City, like me, would not be able to discern if they are real or fake. Certain restaurants, clubs, buildings, etc. For example, In the 5th season, episode "Critical Condition" mentions that Carrie's book is being reviewed in the New York Times by Michiko Kakutani (mee-she-ko ka-ku-ta-nee). Well to my surprise, Michiko is a real person. She IS the New York Times book reviewer. You want to impress her, or else your book may suffer a terrible fate in the bargain bin at a Barnes and Noble somewhere. (In case you are curious, Carrie's book got a rave review but she's bothered by the critic's characterization of her having a life "where the men are disposable." She worries that Aidan, her most recent ex, might also feel that way. Carrie spends the rest of the episode wondering why we only believe the negative things people say about us.)

I am indeed a nerd because when my co-worker was looking at Slate today, I saw the name, and squealed with glee, "She is real!!" And then I had the dubious task of trying to make myself not sound like an idiot, as I explained why Michiko Kakutani was so exciting.

****And if you think that you can stump me on any SATC questions, send them in! I promise not to cheat by google-ing the answers.*****

1 comment:

Breanne Gentner said...

I love Sex and the City! It's crazy, because I've had more than one person tell me I'm exactly like Carrie, I have a friend that is alot like Charlotte, and another friend who seriously IS Samantha. Such a good show.