Monday, May 01, 2006

I want to be "a new kind of Christian" too!

I just finished A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren. Let me re-phrase that. I finished re-reading this book. I burned through it in a couple of days, and then went back, and read it again to really 'get' the content.

A few of the WOW moments I had while reading this book were based on the realization that other people think and question the same things that I do. Which leads to a realization that we can work through these questions with the help of some good friends (and new ones too!)

On Saturday, I went to talk with a Catholic priest, an old friend, and I got his take on some of the passages in the book that really affected me. For example, there is a chapter on the Bible, and how "when you let go of the Bible as God's answer book, you get it back as something so much better." He suprised me by confirming the book's answer by saying that the Bible has value in our spiritual growth, as not only a source of answers, but as a source of inspiration to gather people together to learn and discuss the effect of God in our daily lives.

He also suprised me by agreeing with the phrase "I believe Jesus is the Savior, not Chrisitanity." We had a good talk, discussing the impact of the "Christians" in this world who are not very "Christ-like". He completly agrees with the thought that Jesus was not one to seggregate his followers. He preachd to all who would hear him. He didn't judge people. He loved sinners every day, but he did have a list of sins that he told people to obey, and that if they did, then they were going to be rewarded.

He said that Heaven is big enough for everyone, and there will be good people there. People who have lived the best lives that they could for God, not necessarily for religion.

I really enjoy Brian McLaren, and am working my way though his second book in this trilogy, The Story We Find Ourselves In. Reading him has sparked a few conversations that I wasn't ready for and a few conversations that I needed to hear. I am being changed, and stretched in this spiritual evolution that I find myself in. And I think I like it.

No comments: