Thursday, October 12, 2006

Happy Thursday!


Thirteen Things That are Great About Canada:
(Note: I said ABOUT not A-BOOT)
1. Corner Gas. It's a tv show about a small town (Very small town) in Saskatchewan. My first 18 years were in a town very much like this fictional "Dog River, SK"
2. Margaret Atwood. The Handmaid's Tale should be required reading in most every high school in the world.
3. Great Big Sea. Three boys from Newfoundland who rock the socks off of most parties!
4. Smarties. I eat the Blue ones last - not the red! M & M's are a very close second in my heart, but smarties will always be the best! (American 'Smarties' are those tiny pressed sugar discs that are super sweet too, but not chocolaty)
5. Trailer Park Boys. See previous posting.
6. Bannock. Not so much fried dough, but cooked over the campfire! AWESOME!
7. Ben Mulroney . He's a cutie. That's all!
8.Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp. Again, with the Canadian candies! I'm a sucker with a sweet tooth.
9. Our footballs fields are bigger and we go further in less downs! CFL RULES!
10. Mr. Dressup kicks Mr. Rogers ass. Note: I realize that Mr. Dressup was an American, but how many other children's performers could get away with telling the children that "He didn't want to play because sometimes grown-ups need time away from children."
11. A Canadian invented Superman. Only one of the best superheros EVER!
12. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass. But Krispie Kreme is the supreme ruler of fried dough land...Only in Canada could an ex-NHL-er who died in a drinking and driving accident be a national hero and have coffee and doughnuts named after him.
13. CBC news. No comparison to FOX or even CNN...

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged!


15 comments:

Girlie said...

It's strange, but I cannot finished Handmaid's Tale either as a book or a movie. I've tried several times. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog..I love your blog title and those shows sound great

Caylynn said...

Go Canada! :) I agree with you that most of those are great things about Canada, but I have to disagree on a couple. I've never been able to get into Corner Gas or Trailer Park Boys, and I find Ben Mulroney incredibly annoying. Other than that, I'm in agreement. :)

But you missed the best thing about Canada: the hockey! :) (Okay, so the men didn't do so well in the last Olympics, but there's some great hockey in Canada).

Happy TT from a fellow Canadian. :)

Twisted Cinderella said...

Great TT from a fellow Canadian!

Anthony said...

I think #9 is due to the exchange rate! :)

You also give us such great hockey players.

Thanks for stopping by.

Carmen said...

I still think you said "A-boot". :) I love Canadian accents.

Anonymous said...

yay for canada.

i LOVE tim hortons (kicks dunkin donuts...in everything but the coffee...dd is better!) and smarties and coffee crisp and corner gas!!!

the lizness said...

I know of a few Tim Hortons here in the states, two that I know of in Columbus OH it is the best

Anonymous said...

I still miss Dunkin Donuts' munchkinds. They have the best ones for that. Tim Hortons is OK to me. I also live in Canada...and YEAH i love love sweets...right now I'm eating Twix. hehehe...hey happy TT, mine is up as well, drop by if u can =)

Anonymous said...

hope i can visit one day soon! mine's up too! ;)

Crayonsetc said...

Oh, Krispie Kreme... sounds wonderful... Never had Tim Hortons... but you are right about that... granted, down here, If they are an ex-NFL player, that did that, they could ;)

Happy TT!!

Scribbit said...

And if that's not enough to make you burst with national pride, what other nation has a "loonie" and "twoonie" as the basis for their monetary system. :)

Candy Minx said...

Oh I miss Ti-Ho's (that's what I call Tim Hortons) I think the coffee is way better than Starbucks. I am in Chicago right now and sometimes it is very difficult to find good coffee in America...too many places make it weak. I love Corner Gas and Trailer Park Boys.

HOCKEY!!!

Fun list, made me homesick and nice to run into a fellow Canadian.

Here is my TT list...

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirteen-random-things-i-am-thinking.html

BlondeBrony said...

Great list. I love Canada.
Happy TT!

Lisa said...

There's a great blogger (angryblackbitch.com) who is way into Smarties and kept lamenting about not being able to get them. I had no idea that it was the M&M type thingy and not the tart candies (one of my addictions). I might have to drive to Canada just to get some! :) Good list! (Did you mention hockey? I better doublecheck!)

Thanks for coming by to visit Snarkypants! I appreciated it! (I'm on the "better late than never" train of commenting!)

Have a good week!