Saturday, June 03, 2006

Proof that we need more HIV / AIDS education...

Today I think that I met the absolute most ignorant man in Saskatoon.

Hopefully you are all aware of these quarters for Breast Cancer. At work, we have been given these every time we go to the bank for change in the mornings. We get eight or ten rolls a day, so all of our quarters have the pink ribbon logo in the centre.

This afternoon, I made change for a man - mid-forties to mid-fifties - who looked at the coins in my hand, and said "I don't want these" I asked if he wanted dimes instead, obviously confused since he asked for change for the pay phone, but WHATEVER!

He explains to me that he doesn't want to "get AIDS" from the quarters. WHAT!?!?!

He further asked if this was something that the mall supports, "you know, being a fag". Again, WHAT!?!?!?!!?

I'm sure at this point I look stupified, because I realize that he is referring to the ribbon on the quarter, and he thinks that it is a Red Ribbon to identify with HIV/AIDS fundraising and support. I tersely replied "Sir, these quarters were produced by the Royal Canadian Mint. They have nothing to do with the mall, nor AIDS. They are to bring awareness and funds to fight Breast Cancer."

What I should have said in a pleasant sing-song-y voice with a BIG SMILE: "Yes, this is a red ribbon to bring awareness to the fight humanity is waging against HIV. Although, sir, even if I gave it to an infected person and had them put bodily fluids all over this quarter, you could not "get AIDS" unless I shove it up your ass. While I would like to do this, it would make it difficult for you to make your phone call, wouldn't it?"

4 comments:

Ross said...

should have hit him

Anonymous said...

Wow the ignorance of some people is just amazing.

Did he eventually take teh quarter?

Tracey said...

Yah, he took them, because I dumped them in his hand and turned away.

Christy said...

Why oh Why must all of the good retorts come after the fact? ;)