Saturday, July 22, 2006

Happy 300th post!

I was goint to post the lyrics to my newest song obsession - Unfaithful by Rihanna - But I thought I would do something "classier" for my 300th blathering on this, my little piece of the interweb ;-)

I was loaned a stack of reading materials earlier this month from the Bennetch/Peters library, and I've been immersed in books in my little spare time from work lately. I just read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. What an amazing book. I had heard NOTHING about this book before. WHY??? This should be required reading, like To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

It's about a fourteen year old who is living in South Carolina in 1964. She is surrounded by the turmoil of the Civil Rights Movement. She has been cared for by an African American woman since her mother's suspicious death. It is because of this woman, that she sets out on her own to "find" her Mother's spirit. She heads out to a small town where she thinks her Mom may have been to in her youth.

This is a story of girl power. A story of love and acceptance. I was moved. I went out yesterday and bought a copy each for myself, my Mom, and my sisters Jen and Christine. I think all women should read this story. If you've ever lost anyone, loved anyone, or felt alone read The Secret Life of Bees and you won't feel so alone anymore.

No comments: