Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Shut Up and Sing private screening review



"In the land of the free... Can you dare to be brave?"

That is the question asked in the trailer of the new Dixie Chicks documentary, Shut Up and Sing. The film follows the girls from 2003 when Natalie Maines made "the statement", through to this past July when they returned to London, England (the scene of the crime) to kick off this years world tour.

One of the hardest parts to watch though, was the footage from July 6th, 2003. This was the night that the Dixie Chicks performed a concert in Dallas, Texas. It was also the night that a man had threatened to shoot Natalie while she was on stage. Obviously, the law enforcement officials were able to prevent anything from happening, but it was still very hard to see the nervousness and fear from the girls and everyone backstage.

There is a new song, that the Dixie Chicks performed in concert called The Neighbour. They played it in the movie as well. If anyone knows where to get this song let me know! I can't find it on any album that HMV can order in. Maybe itunes???

On a lighter note, I watched this on Monday night. After my Spark meeting, I went to the late showing at the Cap 4 downtown. It was supposed to start at 9:10, so I showed up a little before nine. I was the ONLY ONE THERE!!! I bought my ticket, and joked with the employees that I felt like Roger Ebert at an advance screening. I got free popcorn, because they were cleaning up, and it wasn't fresh. She told me that if I didn't take a bag, she'd just be throwing it out. It still tasted good to me! It was awesome to be the only person in the whole theater. The cashier told me that people usually pay $500 for a private screening, and I was getting it for a bargain!

They started the movie 10 minutes early, and I had to laugh out loud at the little message they always show before the movie starts. You know the one, the "please turn off your cell phone, and be courtious to the other movie goers" I thought, "If I want to answer my phone tonight, I will!".

1 comment:

Terri said...

I really want to see this. Sounds pretty good!

Free Popcorn! sweet!