Monday, October 31, 2005

Puzzling Lifstyle Choice

I am gaining awareness of a trend that baffles me. Fat people who want to be fat, or want to be fatter.

Now, before anyone throws stones, yes, I'm fat. No holds barred. I'm not plump, or big-boned. I'm downright fat. I've struggled with my weight my whole life it seems. I was somewhat active in high school, and at my thinnest, I was in a size 36 Jean. That's still not very small.

I currently go to a gym three times a week or more, and I try to eat sensibly and drink lots of H2O, but I still weigh too much.

In the current slate article America's Waistline: The politics of fat, Laura Kipnis discusses not what is causing the obesity in America, but why it is being accepted, and even desired.

I recently came across a blog which a woman is TRYING to gain weight. She got some feedback that was negative, and she shot back that it was her life and her body. Yes, it is your body, but as someone who is trying to lose weight not only for personal esthetic, but health as well, she isn't giving the "fat community" any support for our cause.

Am I being unrealistic that She should shut her pie hole, or am I jealous of her ability to tell the world to F-off, and leave her alone? I don't know...

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I'm fat. Maybe not as fat as some, but still fat. Why would anybody choose this? I'm baffled.