Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Where have all the good guys gone?

I mean good guys and girls here at work. Our team is dropping like flies. All departments are losing staff members left and right, and there are more people with fleeing on their minds. I've thought about my options here, and discovered that they are kinda limited. For me to move up any higher on the corporate ladder, I'd have to have three people above me quit, and I know that one of them is NEVER going to leave. She has worked here for nearly 20 years, and has had many chances to leave. She has taken none of those options. She hasn't really climbed the ladder either in 20 years. She has sat here and done the same job, with a rotating cast of sidekicks. I'm just the newest one. A part of me envies her ability to deal with the same crap for 20 YEARS!!! And another part of me is really worried that I will be able to do it too. I don't want to be here in another 18 years, and say "I could have done so much more, but no, I sat here and watched the mall become obsolete. Damn internet shopping!!"

Ok, I would never damn the internet! I get hours of enjoyment playing Yahoo games! :-)

I would love to go back to school full time, and get my degree finished, but I can't afford it right now. If I were to quit, it would be after my little sister's wedding in July, because I want to be able to take the time off to go and spend a week at home. I could be hitting my two year itch that I usually get when I have a job, where I start looking at other options I have, and either choose to leave or stay put for another two years.

I generally like the people I work with, and our staff parties have been killer, but if a great majority are making this exodus then I have to wonder, when I should go? There's nothing more pathetic than the aged party girl still hanging on to her glory days.

Have any of you, Dear Readers, clung to a job because it was comfortable or convenient. What was your scariest move? Should I stay or should I go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last job I had in Saskatoon was, well, comfortable I suppose you could say. I didn't like it very much though, and just decided to quit. I miss most of the freedom I had there, but beyond that I don't miss anything except a couple of my colleagues.

I wouldn't recommend just up and quitting because other people are. Try and find something else first, and make sure it's something you'll be comfortable doing.

Anonymous said...

I worked in that same crazy mall you do about 3 yrs ago. I was only there for about 6 months, but I think its the entertaining pluthera or clientel that keeps people there.

I remember one time seeing these two girls on leashes, leading each other around and around one of those big cement pillars upstairs.